Can't compile www/node on rpi2

Bradley T. Hughes bhughes at freebsd.org
Tue Mar 26 19:06:08 UTC 2019

On 2019-03-26 16:29, bob prohaska wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 12:22:08PM +0100, Bradley T. Hughes wrote:
>>

>> On 2019-03-26 03:14, bob prohaska wrote:
>>> On Mon, Mar 25, 2019 at 10:23:26PM +0100, Bradley T. Hughes wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> Looks like you need to upgrade www/libnghttp2 as well. :)
>>
>>> Thanks for reading, I'd be pleased to try any experiments suggested.
>>
>> In general, www/node requires that all dependencies are up-to-date. The
>> port doesn't explicitly list minimum versions of its dependencies, but I
>> am beginning to think that it should (this is not the first time I have
>> seen this kind of problem).
>>

> Is there a test, a make target perhaps, that will help? I probably should
> have recognized nghttp2 as a name implying a dependency, but didn't.

Yes, there is ports infrastructure that allows me to put the minimum
required versions in the port. If you don't have a dependency installed,
ports will install it for you. If you have the dependency, but it's too
old, ports will tell you. :)

>> Good luck, let me know if you still have problems after making sure
>> everything is up-to-date. :)
>>

> I'm starting to wonder if it's even possible to reconcile dependencies
> among ports that require mismatched versions of supporting programs
> and libraries. At the very least it would seem to require an automatic,
> consistent naming scheme to avoid conflicts and breakage. At small
> scale it seems feasible, but the ports tree is no longer small.

As I mentioned above, there is some infrastructure in ports to do this.
In some cases, there may be multiple versions of a port (think
lang/python2 vs. lang/python3 or www/node vs. www/node{6,8,10}) which
allow users and other ports to choose between. And as you mention, we do
adhere to naming and versioning conventions (specifically, semver) to
reduce conflicts and breakage. Despite the occasional breakage here and
there, I think it works pretty well, even with the size of the ports
tree. :)

> Thanks for reading, and your help!

And thanks for the report! I will take a look at fixing all the
www/node* ports to specify minimum required versions for all
dependencies a little later this evening :)

--
Bradley T. Hughes
bhughes at freebsd.org