[HEADS UP] Clang 8.0.0 upgrade on 13.0-CURRENT

Charlie Li ml+freebsd at vishwin.info
Tue Mar 5 05:26:23 UTC 2019

On 04/03/2019 23:16, Robert Huff wrote:
> 	I was recently told the reason we need devel/llvm70 is the llvm
> in base has - for reasons above my pay grade, but probably not above
> yours - certain components disabled which are required by various
> ports.
The LLVM ports are still needed for those consumers that need their
components, such as llvm-config and the like. Please refer to the aptly
named wiki page again:
https://wiki.freebsd.org/WhyDoIHaveToBuildLLVMWhenIAlreadyHaveClangInstalled
> 	If 8.0 (in base) has those components enabled, then the odds are
> good I can remove devel/llvm[67]0 - recovering almost 700 mb of disk
> space and simplifying debugging efforts.
> 	Major win for me; probably for others.

Think of it this way: the base system toolchain is *based on* some
released version of LLVM (or GCC) as of a particular revision of base/.
"Based on" means that components that are not critical to the actual
functioning of the toolchain or otherwise useful to FreeBSD itself are
bound to be stripped away when included and integrated in the base
system. To illustrate this point, the first line of what `cc --version`
prints on -CURRENT/amd64 r344788:

FreeBSD clang version 8.0.0 (branches/release_80 355313) (based on LLVM
8.0.0)

…whereas `clang80 --version` from devel/llvm80:

clang version 8.0.0 (tags/RELEASE_800/rc2)

So don't expect to even think about being able to opportunistically
remove the LLVM ports, needed by consumers, on your system, anytime soon.

--
Charlie Li
…nope, still don't have an exit line.