multimedia/gstreamer1-libav fails for cc being clang on powerpc64: cc: error: unknown argument: '-mminimal-toc'

Mark Millard marklmi at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 20:42:01 UTC 2019

[I sometimes experiment with using more modern compiler toolchains on powerpc
families.]

The following is from a poudriere-devel use but I extracted the tar of the failure
in order to see the config.log file's messages about the failure.

configure:4019: checking whether the C compiler works
configure:4041: cc -O2 -pipe  -g -isystem /usr/local/include -fno-strict-aliasing -mminimal-toc -isystem /usr/local/include   conftest.c -L/usr/local/lib >&5
cc: error: unknown argument: '-mminimal-toc'
configure:4045: $? = 1
configure:4083: result: no
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h */
| #define PACKAGE_NAME "GStreamer libav"
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME "gst-libav"
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION "1.14.4"
| #define PACKAGE_STRING "GStreamer libav 1.14.4"
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT "http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GStreamer"
| #define PACKAGE_URL ""
| #define PACKAGE "gst-libav"
| #define VERSION "1.14.4"
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
|
| int
| main ()
| {
|
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:4088: error: in `/wrkdirs/usr/ports/multimedia/gstreamer1-libav/work/gst-libav-1.14.4':
configure:4091: error: C compiler cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details

Where:

# cc -v
FreeBSD clang version 7.0.1 (branches/release_70 348686) (based on LLVM 7.0.1)
Target: powerpc64-unknown-freebsd13.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /usr/bin

The issue is that in /usr/ports/multimedia/gstreamer1-libav/Makefile the
line:

CFLAGS_powerpc64=       -mminimal-toc

should probably be conditional on if the compiler is some gcc* . (Or
clang should accept the option in order to be more compatibile?) Such
would likely help those that work on having an updated toolchain
for powerpc64.

This is the only failure so far in what I normally build for this
context. (I include building lumina.)

For reference:

# svnlite diff /usr/ports/multimedia/gstreamer1-libav/Makefile
#

===
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com