Pause pkg install messages

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Thu May 24 17:41:57 UTC 2018

On 05/24/2018 02:46, Johannes Lundberg wrote:

>> If you need to re-show message of any installed package, "pkg info -D"
>> (or pkg info --pkg-message) is your friend. Nothing is lost. You can
>> view it anytime.
>>
> If you're in virtualbox on a laptop, you seldom have scroll lock unless you
> map it manually (which is not easy to know how to do).
> And, yes you can review the messages later but how do you know which of the
> 100's of package had important messages for you?
>
> Often when I install 100's of package I walk away from the computer and
> when I come back all the messages except the very last one or two have
> scrolled by.
> I think we should have a pager that says something like "please carefully
> read through these messages", halt the output and let's you scroll one page
> or pkg at the time.
>
> Even better, a Y/N question asking the user if they want configuration to
> be done for them where it makes sense (but that's a bigger project).

I think having pkg output something along the lines of "missed important
messages or want to view them again, run pkg info -D at any time.
here's the list of pkgs we just installed:" would be a good improvement.

it would encourage people to get more comfortable with the pkg tool
itself while not changing the default behaviour that experienced
admins/users have gotten used to.

-pete

--
Pete Wright