Pause pkg install messages

Johannes Lundberg johalun0 at gmail.com
Thu May 24 08:08:59 UTC 2018

Hi

The first thing me and probably many other do after install is
pkg install xxx yyy zzz
from console (meaning no scrollback buffer).

With xorg and friends this means hundreds of packets. After install all the
pkg messages are display and most of sometimes very valuable information is
just scrolled away.

Is there an easy way to fix* this by piping the output through less or
something to pause for each screen so that the messages just aren't
scrolled away?

In addition to that it would be nice (if it's not already done) to store
this information in a log file somewhere so that one can revisit and see
what needs to be manually configured for each installed package.

*by fix I mean something that does not put the burden on the user.

Cheers

/Johannes