Removing git dependencies on perl5 and python27

Franco Fichtner franco at lastsummer.de
Fri Jun 15 08:24:10 UTC 2018

> On 15. Jun 2018, at 10:10 AM, Mahmoud Al-Qudsi <mqudsi at neosmart.net> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 2:57 AM, Michael Gmelin <freebsd at grem.de> wrote:
>> Last time I checked, building git without Perl broke submodules (which is a core feature that should work with a default installation).
>
> I fully agree. Fortunately, (at least at a first glance) that does not
> seem to be the case.

The bottom line is that excluding Perl and Python support from git
will make it only usable for automated shell scripting.

Interactive parts require Perl or Python so there is nothing to be
gained from breaking POLA for existing users of the git FreeBSD
package or git software in general as any random tutorial out there
may not work for FreeBSD anymore.

For emphasis, this is suboptimal at best...

Cheers,
Franco