Removing git dependencies on perl5 and python27

Mahmoud Al-Qudsi mqudsi at neosmart.net
Fri Jun 15 08:10:59 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 2:57 AM, Michael Gmelin <freebsd at grem.de> wrote:
> Last time I checked, building git without Perl broke submodules (which is a core feature that should work with a default installation).

I fully agree. Fortunately, (at least at a first glance) that does not
seem to be the case.

I just built and installed git from source on a clean FreeBSD 12 install:

```
mqudsi at freebsd12:/easyre % mkdir test
mqudsi at freebsd12:/easyre % cd test
mqudsi at freebsd12:/easyre/test % git init .
Initialized empty Git repository in /easyre/test/.git/
mqudsi at freebsd12:/easyre/test % git submodule add
https://github.com/neosmart/pkg-graph
Cloning into '/easyre/test/pkg-graph'...
remote: Counting objects: 41, done.
remote: Total 41 (delta 16), reused 38 (delta 13), pack-reused 0
Unpacking objects: 100% (41/41), done.
mqudsi at freebsd12:/easyre/test % perl
perl: Command not found.
mqudsi at freebsd12:/easyre/test % perl5
perl5: Command not found.
mqudsi at freebsd12:/easyre/test % fd '^perl$' /
/easyre/git/perl
/easyre/git/t/t4034/perl
mqudsi at freebsd12:/easyre/test % git --version
git version 2.18.0.rc2.dirty
mqudsi at freebsd12:/easyre/test %
```

Mahmoud Al-Qudsi