When does a newly committed port become installable via 'pkg'?

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 21:01:47 UTC 2018

On Jan 28, 2018 12:15 PM, "James E Keenan" <jkeenan at pobox.com> wrote:

Earlier today (about 0910 EST), thanks to Po-Chuan Hsieh, a new port I had
created was committed to the repository.  It was very quickly visible at
these locations:

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/devel/p5-CPAN-Testers-Common-Client/
https://www.freshports.org/devel/p5-CPAN-Testers-Common-Client/

... and it has since become visible here as well:

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=p5-CPAN-Testers-
Common-Client&stype=all&sektion=all

However, when I try to install that package onto my system (a VM running
FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE), I continue -- six hours later -- to get messages
saying that the package cannot be located.

#####
$> sudo pkg update
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.

$> sudo pkg install p5-CPAN-Testers-Common-Client
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
pkg: No packages available to install matching
'p5-CPAN-Testers-Common-Client' have been found in the repositories
#####

What am I not understanding about this process?

Thank you very much.
Jim

The default pkg repository is the "quarterly" one (see /usr/local/etc/pkg)
which only gets new ports every 3 months.

You can switch to the "latest" repo, which gets rebuilt every Tuesday, I
believe.

Or build it from the ports tree which gets updated daily.

Cheers,
Freddie

Typos courtesy of my phone.