Mailman has mismatched checksums

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Jan 17 23:30:20 UTC 2018

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018, Ted Hatfield wrote:

> My best guess is that some time in the past I changed the variables
> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST and DEFAULT_URL_HOST in the Defaults.py file rather
> than mm_cfg.py, and the files Defaults.py and Defaults.pyc didn't change
> when I did a pkg update.

After further investigation (a complete removal of Mailman, updated the
"locate" database, and confirmed that not a skerrick of Mailman was left
on the server), I did another installation of the package (not the port),
and stood back and waited for the overnight check.

And...

     Checking for packages with mismatched checksums:
 	mailman-2.1.25: /usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.py
 	mailman-2.1.25: /usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Defaults.pyc

Suspicious (since *I* hadn't touched anything), I looked further, and
found:

     DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'aneurin.horsfall.org'
     DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'aneurin.horsfall.org'
     DEFAULT_URL_PATTERN = 'http://%s/mailman/'

In other words, the installation gratuitously changes a file that by its
own admission should not be changed, and then the system has the hide to
complain that it has been changed i.e. it installs itself as
pre-corrupted...

I'm surprised that this breakage hasn't been noted until now.