Help with versioning scheme

Martin Waschbüsch martin at waschbuesch.de
Wed Jan 17 18:09:04 UTC 2018

Hi there,

I am preparing a patch for a port (archivers/libz4) that I am maintaining.
The versioning scheme upstream originally used was for instance:

rXXX
e.g. r123

When they changed to

vX.Y.Z
e.g. v1.8.1

I had to up PORTEPOCH in order not to get wrong warnings about new versions available.

Now, they added a fourth digit to that.

vV.X.Y.Z
e.g. v1.8.1.2

So far so good. Now, the last digit is equivalent to our port revisions. E.g. the version of the library as declared in the source is still 1.8.1.

How do I adapt the Makefile that the correct tarball will be downloaded from git (which contains v1.8.1.2) but either ignore the fourth digit or use it to represent the port revision?

Also, would you consider it impolite to (humbly) ask upstream to (carefully) choose a versioning scheme and stick with it (longterm)? ;-)

Best,

Martin