Newer FreeBSD version for package breaks binary updates

Jan Beich jbeich at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 15 20:40:26 UTC 2018

Michael Gmelin <freebsd at grem.de> writes:

>> On 15. Jan 2018, at 21:04, Jan Beich <jbeich at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>
>> Michael Gmelin <freebsd at grem.de> writes:
>>
>>> will package builder updates scheduled in a predictable way, so system
>>> update cycles of users can be aligned, etc.?
>>
>> The package cluster starts a build 3 times a week and on amd64/i386
>> finishes it within 1-2 days. If unsure check https://pkg-status.freebsd.org/
>> aarch64 builder is currently oversubscribed thus struggles to keep /latest
>> package set in sync with amd64/i386.
>>

> Hi,
>
> Cool that we start builds three times a week now, I like it.
>
> My question was about when the build jails are updated though - is the
> package cluster always updated to the latest OS version (within the
> major release) before builds?

Yes, but OSVERSION doesn't change on each upgrade. poudriere actually
obsoletes every existing package on OSVERSION bumps, so such builds are
extra slow. For one, click on "View all" link on pkg-status then sort by
build name. Notice those with ~25K rebuilt packages are when OSVERSION
bumps happened.