Package depending on any one of multiple FLAVORS

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 7 10:28:51 UTC 2018

On 06/02/2018 10:43, Dan Mahoney (Gushi) wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Feb 2018, Matthew Seaman wrote:
>
>> This is down to a deficiency in pkg(8) -- it can't handle having a
>> number of alternate packages or ranges of different package versions to
>> fulfil a dependency.  The dependencies "baked into" each package are on
>> exactly the dependency package and version used at compilation time.
>
> This feels a lot like what I was just asking about, as well.  Are there
> plans for this dependency to be addressed in the future?  My brief
> combing of the wiki didn't find any kind of a roadmap or anything like
> that.

Well, this is one of about three wide-ranging changes to the ports that
are currently in play.  That is: Flavours, Sub-packages and Variable
dependencies.  I believe the plan is to implement them in that order --
so Flavours has landed now, but there's a lot of work ongoing to apply
it everywhere it is needed.  There's a code review up for sub-packages,
but that project is still in the very early stages.  Variable
dependencies will probably happen sometime after all that.  It needs a
bunch of code changes in pkg(8) and then a lot of wide-ranging changes
in the ports tree itself.

So, don't get too excited just yet...

	Cheers,

	Matthew