portmaster, portupgrade, etc

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Wed Oct 4 21:22:27 UTC 2017

On Wed, Oct 04, 2017 at 08:30:49PM +0000, Grzegorz Junka wrote:

> On 04/10/2017 19:40, Steve Kargl wrote:
> > Ahem, yeah, so I'm not allowed to request a short description
> > on how to use poudiere in a resource constrained environment?
> >

> The environment isn't constrained by poudriere but by the ports you want
> to compile. When compiling libreoffice or chromium or firefox I don't
> think there is anything else that can be done than setting poudriere to
> run no more than 1 job at a time. Poudriere itself doesn't take any
> additional resources, it's just a dedicated jail and a bunch of scripts.

I did not state that the "environment is constrained by poudriere".
The environment is contrained due to resource limits.  If you
only have 1 Gb of memory and 5-10 GB diskspace, then using poudriere
with zfs and jails is a nonstarter.  Yes, I'm aware that zfs is not
required.  Can't find info on whether jails can be avoided.  Having
say lang/llvm40 installed in /usr/local and in a jail would consumes
2.6 GB.  That's 1 port!

--
Steve
20170425 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWUpyCsUKR4