portmaster, portupgrade, etc

Grzegorz Junka list1 at gjunka.com
Wed Oct 4 21:46:09 UTC 2017

On 04/10/2017 21:22, Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 04, 2017 at 08:30:49PM +0000, Grzegorz Junka wrote:
>> On 04/10/2017 19:40, Steve Kargl wrote:
>>> Ahem, yeah, so I'm not allowed to request a short description
>>> on how to use poudiere in a resource constrained environment?
>>>
>> The environment isn't constrained by poudriere but by the ports you want
>> to compile. When compiling libreoffice or chromium or firefox I don't
>> think there is anything else that can be done than setting poudriere to
>> run no more than 1 job at a time. Poudriere itself doesn't take any
>> additional resources, it's just a dedicated jail and a bunch of scripts.
>>
> I did not state that the "environment is constrained by poudriere".
> The environment is contrained due to resource limits.  If you
> only have 1 Gb of memory and 5-10 GB diskspace, then using poudriere
> with zfs and jails is a nonstarter.  Yes, I'm aware that zfs is not
> required.  Can't find info on whether jails can be avoided.  Having
> say lang/llvm40 installed in /usr/local and in a jail would consumes
> 2.6 GB.  That's 1 port!

Would temporarily spinning up an EC2 instance on AWS be an option? It's
priced per hour so shouldn't cost much to compile required packages? On
the other hand, a desktop with 4GB of RAM and 250GB HDD costs $50-100.

I sometimes think if setting up a build system where someone would be
able to build ports with their own customized options could become
popular...

GrzegorzJ