Exporting phone list to a fritz router (.xml) & android phone app.

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Wed Nov 29 23:02:07 UTC 2017

"Chris H" wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 22:42:14 +0100 "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at berklix.com> said
>
> > Hi ports@ people
> > Any reccomendations of ports/ that may manage phone & address booke,
> > & import/export to Fritz Routers & Android phone app ?  Should I
> > be using a stack of vCards format as a common intermediary to edit
> > the master with vi, or some port ?
> >
> > My large phone+address book has for 20 years been vi editable in my own
> > format:
> > 	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/jhs/bin/public/phone/
> > which supports lots of additional fields way beyond phone & address,
> > & Makefiles export to 3 device formats:
> > 	BSD ISDN i4b S0 card man(8) isdnd
> > 	ports/comms/gnokii nokia etc mobiles
> > 	ports/misc/estic Istec 1008 etc (PBX=LCO=TK Anlage)
> >
> > I now want to export to 2 new device formats:
> > 	Fritz routers that export & import in xml format, sample appended.
> > 	Android phone app.  Format unexamined yet
> >
> > I expect to lash up an export from phone.c to Fritz XML,
> > but probably you can reccomend some nicer standard ports &/or formats ?
> > Didn't there used to be some [kde?] or similar tool in a larger package ?
> >
> > https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports/ gives with
> > "phone book"
> >
> > ports/misc/telbook
> > 	in Perl and uses the GTK+ 2 p	no mention of xml
> >
> > ports/deskutils/tel/
> > 	Entries are stored in a simple CSV file. This eases import
> > 	and export with common spread sheet applications like
> > 	Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice.org Calc
> >
> > "address book"
> >
> > deskutils/dlume
> > 	stores your contacts in XML format
> > 	Export to CSV and HTML formats is also available
> >
> > deskutils/gaddr
> > 	holds addresses and any other information you want to know
> > 	about a person
> >
> > deskutils/py-pycarddav
> > 	CardDAV CLI client
> >
> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CardDAV
> > 	based on WebDAV, which is based on HTTP, and it uses vCard
> > 	for contact data.
> >
> > mail/evolution
> > 	Big, databases/evolution-data-server make broke.
> > 	pkg install worked .... starts with mail
> >
> > mail/horde-turba
> > 	supports storing contacts in SQL, LDAP, Kolab, and IMSP
> >
> > "phone numbers"
> > devel/py-phonenumbers
>
> I guess if it were me; based on as much of your code as I examined, and
> the ports mentioned above. I'd probably go with: deskutils/dlume
> or perhaps better, cobble my own.
> Managing the numbers, and associated info in CSV format seems like it would
> be almost trivial. In my mind could nearly accomplish the whole matter with
> awk(1).
> In fact, I'm currently managing a database with over 9 million records,
> and extract, and format most of it with awk. *Super* fast, and much easier
> than sed(1). Which is what I was originally attempting to do it with.
>
> My .02¢ FWIW

Thanks Chris :-)

A small Fritz XML sample
	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/jhs/bin/public/phone/fritz/samples/
(better seen with a browser eg firefox that indents, harder to view in vi).

It now seems best I export to XML via VCF:

  https://en.avm.de/service/support-request/your-support-request/knowlegdebasesupport/detail/en_FRITZ-Box-7390-int/1353_Exporting-smartphone-contacts-to-a-FRITZ-Box-telephone-book/
  "Exporting smartphone contacts to a FRITZ!Box telephone book"
  "You can use FRITZ!App Fon to export entries saved in the People
   app on your smartphone to a FRITZ!Box telephone book."

An android phone app exported Contacts.vcf via mail (method:
	http://berklix.com/~jhs/android/#phone_book
) to FreeBSD & `file' reports: vCard visiting card
A stack of vCards, with inter record seperators:
	BEGIN:VCARD^M
	VERSION:2.1^M

So I will write an exporter from my phone.c multiple field format to VCF,
export into Android phone, then reduce VCF & export the few phone number
fields the Fritz router needs, either by:
- export with FRITZ!App Fon,
- &/or or maybe also find a VCF to XML exporter for BSD.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey, Computer Consultant, BSD Linux Unix Systems Engineer, Munich
 Reply below, Prefix '> '. Plain text, No .doc, base64, HTML, quoted-printable.