Exporting phone list to a fritz router (.xml) & android phone app.

Chris H bsd-lists at BSDforge.com
Tue Nov 28 00:50:59 UTC 2017

On Mon, 27 Nov 2017 22:42:14 +0100 "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at berklix.com> said

> Hi ports@ people
> Any reccomendations of ports/ that may manage phone & address booke,
> & import/export to Fritz Routers & Android phone app ?  Should I
> be using a stack of vCards format as a common intermediary to edit
> the master with vi, or some port ?
>
> My large phone+address book has for 20 years been vi editable in my own
> format:
> 	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/jhs/bin/public/phone/
> which supports lots of additional fields way beyond phone & address,
> & Makefiles export to 3 device formats:
> 	BSD ISDN i4b S0 card man(8) isdnd
> 	ports/comms/gnokii nokia etc mobiles
> 	ports/misc/estic Istec 1008 etc (PBX=LCO=TK Anlage)
>
> I now want to export to 2 new device formats:
> 	Fritz routers that export & import in xml format, sample appended.
> 	Android phone app.  Format unexamined yet
>
> I expect to lash up an export from phone.c to Fritz XML,
> but probably you can reccomend some nicer standard ports &/or formats ?
> Didn't there used to be some [kde?] or similar tool in a larger package ?
>
> https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports/ gives with
> "phone book"
>
> ports/misc/telbook
> 	in Perl and uses the GTK+ 2 p	no mention of xml
>
> ports/deskutils/tel/
> 	Entries are stored in a simple CSV file. This eases import
> 	and export with common spread sheet applications like
> 	Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice.org Calc
>
> "address book"
>
> deskutils/dlume
> 	stores your contacts in XML format
> 	Export to CSV and HTML formats is also available
>
> deskutils/gaddr
> 	holds addresses and any other information you want to know
> 	about a person
>
> deskutils/py-pycarddav
> 	CardDAV CLI client
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CardDAV
> 	based on WebDAV, which is based on HTTP, and it uses vCard
> 	for contact data.
>
> mail/evolution
> 	Big, databases/evolution-data-server make broke.
> 	pkg install worked .... starts with mail
>
> mail/horde-turba
> 	supports storing contacts in SQL, LDAP, Kolab, and IMSP
>
> "phone numbers"
> devel/py-phonenumbers
I guess if it were me; based on as much of your code as I examined, and
the ports mentioned above. I'd probably go with: deskutils/dlume
or perhaps better, cobble my own.
Managing the numbers, and associated info in CSV format seems like it would
be almost trivial. In my mind could nearly accomplish the whole matter with
awk(1).
In fact, I'm currently managing a database with over 9 million records,
and extract, and format most of it with awk. *Super* fast, and much easier
than sed(1). Which is what I was originally attempting to do it with.

My .02¢ FWIW

> Cheers,
> Julian

--Chris