Dependencies satisfied, build stops anyway.

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Thu Nov 23 04:32:55 UTC 2017

On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 8:18 PM, bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 05:12:16PM -0800, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 22, 2017 at 3:28 PM, bob prohaska <fbsd at www.zefox.net>
> wrote:
> >

> > > Attempts to compile a number of ports on RPI2, in this case
> dns/bind910,
> > > often
> > > stop with an error along the lines of:
> > >
> > > /bin/mkdir -p '/tmp/mountpoint.f1jbPw/devel/
> gettext-tools/work/stage/usr/
> > > local/share/gettext'
> > >  install  -m 555 ../build-aux/config.rpath
> '/tmp/mountpoint.f1jbPw/devel/
> > > gettext-tools/work/stage/usr/local/share/gettext'
> > > ====> Compressing man pages (compress-man)
> > > ===>  Installing for gettext-tools-0.19.8.1
> > > ===>  Checking if gettext-tools already installed
> > > ===>   gettext-tools-0.19.8.1 is already installed
> > >       You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
> > >       by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
> > >       If you really wish to overwrite the old port of gettext-tools
> > >       without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
> > >       in your environment or the "make install" command line.
> > > *** Error code 1
> > >
> > > In case it isn't obvious, I'm confused. The version sought is found,
> > > so what's the error?
> > >
> > > Thanks for reading,
> > >
> > > bob prohaska
> > >

> > The problem is that you have two tools with different means of
> determining
> > if a port is present. When the ports system installs a port, it olls at
> the
> > pkgdb an makes sure the port is not installed. Unfortunately, pkgdb
> thinks
> > it is.
> >
> > the easiest fix is to "pkg delete -f gettext-tools" followed be a
> > re-install. Go to /usr/ports/devel/gettext-tools and make install. If you
> > are using portmaster, "portmaster -C devel/gettext-tools" will do the
> job,
> > as well, but you always need to delete the port.
> > --
>
> Is there a simple way to force deletion and reinstallation? The number
> of stale dependencies seems to be vast, and this is on a relatively
> simple port, dns/bind910. Being on an ARM platform there are no
> precompiled binaries.
>
> Thanks very much!
>
> bob prohaska

Stale ports SHOULD not be an issue. Normally old ports are updated
automatically. It is important that your ports tree is consistent and,
usually that it is current. Assuming yours is, the only issue is the
oddball case like this one. You won't hit them often. Usually it is when a
file that is tested for is missing. Usually a library. pkgdb says that the
port is installed, but the make looks for the actual library and triggers
an install, as opposed to a reinstall, when it is not found. Unled this
systm has been massively mangled, it is a very unusual development, at
least in my experience.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com