Can a port directory name have capital letters when the project name has them: audio/abGate-lv2 ?

Alexey Dokuchaev danfe at nsu.ru
Mon Nov 13 09:48:15 UTC 2017

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 09:56:06AM +0100, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
> Le 10/11/2017 ?? 23:05, Yuri a ??crit :
> > There are two competing directory name suggestions for the project
> > with the name abGate:
> >
> > audio/abGate-lv2
> >
> > audio/abgate-lv2
> >
> > Should I choose the former one or the latter one?
>
> The directory name should match PKGBASE. (with the various python or lua
> or stuff versions stripped off, for example py27-foo -> py-foo.)
>
> PORTNAME should match what upstreams calls the software.

<<< My standard reply to this narrative of Mathieu's. >>>

We have a tradition to have port names in lower case.  This tradition is
commongly seen throughout entire Unix heritage and is omnipresent, from
login names, header files, to APIs.  Mathieu may prefer C:\Documents and
Settings\User Joe but most of us don't.  Yes, this also applies to port
and package names.

> The only exception where PORTNAME should be downcase if it installs a
> single binary that is lowercase, say upstream is called LsOF, and it
> only installs lsof.

There are plenty of counterexamples to what Mathieu sais, e.g. Firefox
and PostgreSQL would be a good start. :-)

We do follow upstream for CPAN packages and others that 1) include a lot
of ports, 2) have an established naming convention of their own, 3) many
of them are common dependencies, thus it helps to have similar package
names with popular GNU/Linux distros.

For some random unattached port it's almost always better tolower() it,
regardless of whether it is a single utility, library, game with a lot
of resources, or anything else.

./danfe