[RFC] Why FreeBSD ports should have branches by OS version

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Tue Jun 27 10:08:36 UTC 2017

"Thomas Mueller" wrote:
> from Dewayne Geraghty:
>
> > Synth is very good.  It builds upon pkg and is way less complicated that
> > poudriere.

I dont know the relative dependencies counts for both synth & poudriere,
but I suspect synth is bigger ?
  ( I have a messed up current here where loads of ports break, I
  tried to build synth to then recover other ports, but synth broke
  deep, building some gcc, & I have a working poudriere.)

If one has a good stable platform, then a nice maintainer that does
chroot/jail elegantly with lots of features is probably attractive,
& dependency count not a worry.

But if one stands on a broken system & needs to recover, some simple
stock cc & sh tool/procedure with no dependencies is attractive, even if
one has to coble something ones self.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, Computer Consultant, BSD Linux Unix Systems Engineer
 Reply below, Prefix '> '. Plain text, No .doc, base64, HTML, quoted-printable.