[RFC] Why FreeBSD ports should have branches by OS version

Thomas Mueller mueller6722 at twc.com
Tue Jun 27 07:37:38 UTC 2017

from Dewayne Geraghty:

> Synth is very good.  It builds upon pkg and is way less complicated that
> poudriere.

> Unfortunately John Marino was unceremoniously removed from committing to
> FreeBSD, and its is uncertain whether he'll continue to support synth on
> FreeBSD.  (He supports DragonflyBSD.  :)

I remember reading about this falling-out.  Are others in FreeBSD ports taking over and continuing support and updates for synth?

Does John Marino still support NetBSD pkgsrc with synth?  It seems NetBSD pkgsrc people are not catching on, preferring to stay with the clumsy pkgsrc tools: creatures of habit, reluctant to change.

I tried the live/installation DragonFlyBSD USB-stick image, but it had problems: no Internet access, drivers missing or nonworking, and my last try didn't boot.  Also it couldn't (previous tries) mount any FreeBSD or NetBSD partition, and FreeBSD and NetBSD couldn't mount/read the DragonFlyBSD USB stick even with UFS as opposed to Hammer file system.

Tom