"clamav-unofficial-sigs" error message

Marko Njezic sf at maxempire.com
Mon Jun 26 09:43:38 UTC 2017

On 2017-06-25 18:16, Carmel NY wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 17:17:44 +0200, Martin Waschbüsch stated:
>
>> From what I can see, the clamav-unofficial-sigs port works. It
>> determines if there are updates or whether you have checked recently,
>> so that you do not inadvertently dos the signature servers. What is
>> NOT working, apparently, is clamav. Did you install clamav via ports?
>> If it is installed, what is the clamscan_bin variable set to
>> in /usr/local/etc/clamav-unofficial-sigs/master.conf file? It needs to
>> be set to the correct path, for instance /usr/local/bin/clamscan. The
>> correct path on your setup can be determined using 'which clamscan'
>
> From the "master.conf" file:
>
> # Custom Command Paths, these are detected with the which command when
> not set.
>
> Clamscan was commented out; however, the default setting was
> to /usr/bin/clamscan
>
> From what I can figure out, the "which" command worked fine outside of
> a CRON job, but was failing when clamav-unofficial-sigs.sh was run via
> CRON. I uncommented the "clamscan" setting and set it to point to the
> correct location. Now it works correctly.
>
> This is probably a bug, but I am not going to waste my time reporting
> it. The ports version of this program is very old. There have been five
> newer versions since its release. No doubt this problem has been
> corrected.

The error message that you're getting has nothing to do with the version
of the script that's available from the ports collection.

Contrary to what you think, you would get the same error message with
the latest version of the script (clamscan binary detection has remained
exactly the same). You obviously did not set up PATH variable correctly
for script invoking by cron daemon.

On a side note, you mentioned that you edited "master.conf" file. As I
wrote in pkg-message, all user configuration changes should go in file
"user.conf" file, in order to make updating the script easier.

As far as updating the port to the latest version is concerned, the
development of the script appeared to be on halt since there were no
updates from august last year until march this year and now it is quiet
once again. The original script ended up being abandoned and I'm more
cautious this time, so that I don't end up wasting my time.

--
Regards,
Marko Njezic - mr.maX @ MAX Interactive corp.