[RFC] Why FreeBSD ports should have branches by OS version

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Fri Jun 23 21:53:43 UTC 2017

Matt Smith wrote:

> I use FreeBSD *precisely* because it mostly keeps up with the latest
> stable versions of things. I have postfix 3.2, pgsql 9.6, nginx 1.13,
> libressl 2.5 etc. It's usually impossible to do this with linux unless
> you install things directly from source.

And me I came to FreeBSD because it was security conscious but not
latest and greatest or nothing... well not strictly true, P Vixie forced
me into trying it.. but I changed from Linux to FreeBSD across my entire
product because of stability... which doesn't exist in the same way now
(and hasn't since 2013ish)..

Running postfix 2.9, pgsql 9.4 (8.4 in some places but they are top
priority to upgrade if I can keep up with security issues everywhere
else) openssl 1.0.2 and Apache 2.4 (.26 just upgraded myself)...

> I upgrade my ports/packages via poudriere every single day which
> mostly just takes 2 minutes of my time as usually that results in
> maybe one or two packages being updated at a time. I see this as a
> positive thing rather than doing one massive huge upgrade every 3 months.

Currently have 87 servers located across 7 continents, all in production
processing incoming spam at the millions per day, and serving DNS
requests at a rate of over 70,000 queries per second (averaged over a
week)... you can't just f**k with that.  Patches have to be evaluated,
tested, built and regression tested....

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/