bapt@ back on portmgr

Mark Millard markmi at dsl-only.net
Fri Jun 9 21:41:09 UTC 2017

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org wrote on Fri Jun 9 13:21:34 UTC 2017

> Synth is still being actively developed but the author is now working
> primarily on DFly.  There is a new maintainer for the synth port who
> will be porting the latest updates to FreeBSD, much like almost any
> other piece of software in the ports.
>
> At the moment there is a problem with synth on recent FreeBSD HEAD due
> to not having a working ada compiler.  This will be solved eventually as
> the bugs in various toolchains get worked out.

Just an FYI for those who might not know: It turns out that the
ports-mgmt/synth author is also the lang/gcc6-aux (ada) author.

Unlike synth itself, gcc6-aux has no FreeBSD maintainer last I looked.
This indirectly tends to limit synth updates being effective for head.

My guess is that gcc6-aux probably has not needed changes or rebuilds
for DragonFly BSD. (DragonFly forked from FreeBSD back in FreeBSD-4.x
time frames.) So updates appropriate to FreeBSD's head driven by
just upstream activity would not seem likely.

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net