I would like to maintain and update www/luakit

Stefan Hagen freebsd-ports at textmail.me
Mon Jul 24 13:24:08 UTC 2017

Hello All,

It looks like www/luakit is not maintained. The program has greatly
improved and a new release will be out in the next days. I'm in
contact with the developer and I would like to bring it to FreeBSD
and maintain it in future.

However, this would be my first port. I'm currently working myself
through the porter handbook, but I have questions. Is it okay to push
these (beginner) questions to this list? Or is someone willing to
mentor me in this regard?

The first question would be what is best practice when a port greatly
changes and will break compatibility with the old port.

The current www/luakit port is the webkit1 version from 2012. The
current release is a rewrite based on webkit2, which is incomptible
to the old configuration files. It won't even start.

I can see two approches how to tackle this:

a) leave the current www/luakit port as it is and create a new
    www/luakit-gtk3 with the 2017 release. This would prevent an
    automatic update for existing users.

b) update the existing www/luakit port and add the information about
    the configuration incompatibility to UPDATING.

Any other options?
A helping hand would be appreceated.

Best Regards,
Stefan