It looks like USE_GCC=any is broken and leads to system-clang use

Mark Millard markmi at dsl-only.net
Mon Jul 3 02:54:09 UTC 2017

On 2017-Jun-29, at 5:58 PM, Gerald Pfeifer <gerald at pfeifer.com> wrote:

> Am 29. Juni 2017 18:55:59 GMT+08:00 schrieb Mark Millard <markmi at dsl-only.net>:
>> I'm not currently set up to run more than head on
>> any of amd64, powerpc64, powerpc, aarch64, or armv6/7
>> (which are all I target). And I'm in the middle of
>> attempting a fairly large jump to head -r320458 on
>> those.
>
> Oh, then I had misunderstood your previous mail. No worries, I'll gently proceed then.
>
> I expect to update gcc5 in the next 24 hours.
>
>> [In my normal/head environment I'm switching to lang/gcc7-devel
>> for gcc (from lang/gcc6 ) but I'm odd that way.]
>
> The compiler should be fine, it's a number of ports that are not (even blocking the move from GCC 5 to 6 as default).

As part of testing that an environment seemed stable,
an environment based on head -r320570 and ports -r444872
with gcc being lang/gcc7-devel that is installed on
amd64, I tried:

script ~/ports_typescripts/phoronix-try-00-typescript portmaster -DK benchmarks/phoronix-test-suite

in part because it has:

USE_GCC=        any

and I'm using:

DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=perl5=5.24 gcc=7

in /etc/make.conf and the gcc that I have installed
is lang/gcc7-devel. This should also have been a test
of the adjusted-header removal that has been applied
to lang/gcc7-devel (but not a old environment's build
used under a modern system environment).

But the result was a surprise: the log file
shows all the build as using cc and in my context
cc is:

# cc --version
FreeBSD clang version 4.0.0 (tags/RELEASE_400/final 297347) (based on LLVM 4.0.0)
Target: x86_64-unknown-freebsd12.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /usr/bin

Configure repeatedly shows:

checking for gcc... cc
. . .

In fact "phoronix-test-suite diagnostics" reports:

COMPILER = Clang 4.0.0 (SVN 297347) + LLVM 4.0.0

So clang is being treated as an example of gcc as far
as I can tell.

===
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net