The future of portmaster

Luca Pizzamiglio luca.pizzamiglio at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 18:03:52 UTC 2017

Hi all,

thanks for all the replies.

To summarize:
* chroot/jails build could be a nice feature, but it will be an
option, not a requirement. I understand the needs to build in a clean
environment (poudriere and synth works in this direction for a good
reason), but as port maintainer, building in a "dirty" environment
detects this kind of configure problems (library auto-detected or
auto-enabled) that a clean environment cannot shows.
* dropping privileges is really a nice feature to add. The portstree
allow you to build everything as normal user, so portmaster can be
able to do it as well.
* show flags when build fails should be doable
* the dependency order is something I'd like to work on, also to
improve the internal management

I'd like to re-enabling at least --packages-build, that can be really useful.
I'll remove:
--packages-only|-PP : it looks redundant to me
-e : as above, it's redundant; to remove distfiles, --clean-distfiles
can be used after a pkg delete

I'm also considering to remove, if nobody is using them:
* all the --index options, but only
* +IGNOREME support (a file saved in /var/db/pkg/<package-name> to force ignore)

No ETA, but I'll do my best.

Best regards,
pizzamig