Status of synth following expulsion of John Marino?

Adam Weinberger adamw at adamw.org
Wed Feb 15 18:58:53 UTC 2017

> On 15 Feb, 2017, at 11:47, abi <abi at abinet.ru> wrote:
>

> On 15.02.2017 18:00, Adam Weinberger wrote:
>>> On 15 Feb, 2017, at 2:26, Thomas Mueller <mueller6722 at twc.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Expulsion of John Marino was a shocker to me, caught me by surprise.
>>>
>>> Now my question is what is the status of synth?
>>>
>>> Should I switch from portmaster to synth?
>>>
>>> If synth is deprecated or dropped, after I switch from portmaster to synth, then I have to switch back, and this would be a monster mess of extra work.
>>>
>>> Not to be inflammatory here, just want to know where I/we stand and don't want to go too far off course updating my ports.
>>
>> I don't recommend portmaster for anybody. It's unmaintained, it already causes headaches on upgrades, and even though it works now, it is unlikely to keep working as the ports tree evolves.
>
> This is FUD. Yes, portmaster can be less maintained, but it works without observable issues, at least I don't see any problems with it on my systems. synth and poudriere lacks the ability to set and maintain port options recursively, eliminating any practical (from user perspective, not developer) use of such software stand alone.

Sure it does.

poudriere options -j jailname editors/vim

Sets options recursively.

Not seeing any problems with it right now isn't the point of my message. The point is that portmaster WILL break when new features (currently in progress) are added to the ports build system, and being unmaintained, there's no guarantees that it will ever unbreak.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw at adamw.org