Of LSOF

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Wed Dec 27 03:48:17 UTC 2017

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 4:20 PM, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Dec 2017, Dimitry Andric wrote:
>
> Binary packages are built on the oldest supported 10.x release, which
>> currently is 10.3.  I think that lsof is just one of the few programs that
>> care about this, and show a warning.  This is probably because lsof pokes
>> around in half-documented (or undocumented) system structures, which might
>> change even in minor releases.
>>

> Thanks for that.
>
> The path of lowest resistance is to ignore the warning, otherwise build
>> (or package) the port yourself.
>>

> Which I discovered last year required that kernel sources be installed
> (which I didn't have at the time; I didn't build this system) because it
> wanted a certain #include file.  I reported this in a PR saying that
> perhaps all header files be shipped, but I dunno what happened.
>

> --
> Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Those who don't understand security will
> suffer."

lsof pokes it's fingers into the kernel a LOT and the official
recommendation (from the author) is to always rebuild it when the kernel is
rebuilt.  I have had lsof fail in the past on STABLE systems when internal
changes are made to the kernel that do not affect the documented APIs, so
there is really a reason for this. It does require that kernel sources be
present as they may have changed between versions and that would cause lsof
to fail. Putting header files into the port is a non-starter as they MUST
match the kernel on which lsof is built. I added lsof to PORTS_MODULES so
it is rebuilt with any new kernel on my stable system and on one release
system so I can use that package to install elsewhere rather then use the
repo package.

Now that 10.3 is EOL I would expect that the package built for 10-STABLE
would be built on 10.4-RELEASE, but I don't know for sure. It should be and
the next quarterly should be 10.4 based, too.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com