Of LSOF

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Wed Dec 27 21:31:02 UTC 2017

On Tue, 26 Dec 2017, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> [...] Putting header files into the port is a non-starter as they MUST
> match the kernel on which lsof is built. I added lsof to PORTS_MODULES
> so it is rebuilt with any new kernel on my stable system and on one
> release system so I can use that package to install elsewhere rather
> then use the repo package.

Good point; thanks.  "lsof" is a superb tool, BTW...

> Now that 10.3 is EOL I would expect that the package built for 10-STABLE
> would be built on 10.4-RELEASE, but I don't know for sure. It should be
> and the next quarterly should be 10.4 based, too.

OK.

The history is that I used to build from ports because the then-boss did,
and I didn't even know about pre-built packages.  Then, one day, Ruby
needed to be rebuilt, which promptly blew away /tmp i.e. swap...  I'm a
big fan of TMPFS; I had it on the old BSDi box (where it was "mfs"), and
even my old CP/M box (where it was "M:").