OSS Audio

blubee blubeeme gurenchan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 03:38:04 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017, 02:18 Sid <sid at bsdmail.com> wrote:

> >> Stefan Esser; Sun Dec 17 13:11:22 UTC 2017
> >> Do you propose to just update the code to what 4Front provides?
>
> >> This may work for you as individual user, but the 4Front license makes
> >> it impossible to commit that version to FreeBSD. (That was the reason
> >> to stay at a reasonably licensed version, very long ago.)
>
> >> Or do you propose a clean-room implementation that in the end is fully
> >> compatible with 4Front OSS 4.x, but does not violate their license and
> >> intellectual property rights?
>
> >> You are welcome to start with such a clean-room implementation and it
> >> may even be accepted into FreeBSD, once you are ready (provided there
> >> really is no risk of legal problems in any part of the world).
>
> > blubee blubeeme; Sun Dec 17 13:57:40 UTC 2017
> > This is not true. The source code is distributed under different license
> > based on the OS.
> > Look at audio/oss src build process.
>
> > If the code is compiled on Linux it has some Linux type gpl license, if
> > it's on a *BSD it has BSD license, there's also license that suits other
> > platforms as well.
>
> > There were some closed sourced parts because Hannu was trying different
> > license models to pay the bills but instead of supporting him, everyone
> > forked his code and left so he went on to do something else.
>
> http://developer.opensound.com/opensource_oss/licensing.html
> It says most of it is available under a FreeBSD license, but there are
> parts of it, that are closed sourced.
> I'm not sure if any of the closed sourced code is in that download.
> If any closed sourced or GPL code is it in, it would have to be forked it
> to github, sourceforge or other repository, to include only FreeBSD
> licensed code.

If you go grab the source code and just do the build steps you'll see that
the license is applied at build time based on the underlying OS.

> > blubee blubeeme; Sun Dec 17 13:57:40 UTC 2017
> > I propose properly implementing 4Font OSS 4.x in the FreeBSD kernel,
> > properly using the API as documented on 4Front website.
> > Have 4Front OSS the default audio system in FreeBSD
>
> > Having proper Audio programming guide in the FreeBSD handbook
> > ditch sndio and all that other stuff and move forward with a clean start
> > and proper documentation for new audio programs.
>
> If 4Font OSS 4.x comes along, sndio's and portaudio's servers should be
> stripped down, to work on top of, and not duplicate OSS's server
> implementation, so the API of many programs that already use it, readily
> will. I also wish there were a FreeBSD patch for ALSA and other Linuxism
> API's to just connect directly to OSS or Sndio's server. Canberra's
> (computer sounds output) API especially needs to drop directly to OSS's
> sound server. The reason parts of sndio and portaudio should stay
> available, is that they've done a lot of work this year to fix most ports
> to work with sndio, and keeping compatibility with these two, will make
> porting easier from other BSDs, including GNU programs that already got
> ported to other BSDs.

This should be possible since most of this code is trying to do stuff that
4Front OSS does already.

Please remember that it was Hannu who wrote the first sound driver for
Linux and it's his work that most open source audio drivers is based on.

He implemented a midi sequencer before the official midi 1.0 spec was
finalized.