OSS Audio

Alexander Leidinger Alexander at leidinger.net
Mon Dec 18 15:26:51 UTC 2017

Quoting Sid <sid at bsdmail.com> (from Sun, 17 Dec 2017 19:18:23 +0100):

>> Having proper Audio programming guide in the FreeBSD handbook
>> ditch sndio and all that other stuff and move forward with a clean start
>> and proper documentation for new audio programs.
>
> If 4Font OSS 4.x comes along, sndio's and portaudio's servers should

The FreeBSD sound system already implements the OSSv4 API since about
FreeBSD 8.

> be stripped down, to work on top of, and not duplicate OSS's server
> implementation, so the API of many programs that already use it,

If they wouldn't use the OSS API on FreeBSD, they wouldn't be able to
play and sound. If they use it to the full extend what is possible and
makes sense, I don't know. Anyone is free to work with the developers
of those servers to improve the FreeBSD parts in those programs.

> readily will. I also wish there were a FreeBSD patch for ALSA and
> other Linuxism API's to just connect directly to OSS or Sndio's

Isn't this what the port audio/alsa-lib is about?

> server. Canberra's (computer sounds output) API especially needs to

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net Alexander at Leidinger.net: PGP 0x8F31830F9F2772BF