Option vs. flavor?

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Sun Dec 17 08:48:37 UTC 2017

On 12/16/17 22:06, Adam Weinberger wrote:

> Is the port of any use without the data file? If everybody who uses
> the port needs the data file, I wouldn't make it an option at all. The
> precedent is that ports with huge data files are marked NO_PACKAGE, so
> there's no impact on the package builders. Make it non-optional, mark
> it as NO_PACKAGE, and then the port works for all users.
>
> If, however, the port IS real-world usable without the data files, I'd
> turn the data file into a second port. That way, package people can
> very easily install the NO_BUILD slave and still install the main
> program by pkg.

Hi Adam,

It is usable without data. Portions of the data are recommended to be
downloaded into the specific directory for particular functions. Of
course, it's more convenient to just a have all of it installed, and
users will need all of it for all functions.

This is the large physics package called Geant4 for simulation of the
passage of particles through matter. https://reviews.freebsd.org/D13504

Yuri