Option vs. flavor?

Adam Weinberger adamw at adamw.org
Sun Dec 17 06:06:18 UTC 2017

> On 15 Dec, 2017, at 18:38, Yuri <yuri at rawbw.com> wrote:
>
> One port is small by itself, but it semi-optionally requires 4.5GB of
> static data installed.
>
> It is possible to download this data optionally, conditional on the port
> option DATA_FILES which will be "off" by default, so that the users who
> need the data will install it with DATA_FILES=on.
>
> Alternatively, it is possible to create a flavor, something like @withData.
>

> Should the option be preferred, or should the flavor be preferred?

Hi Yuri,

Is the port of any use without the data file? If everybody who uses the
port needs the data file, I wouldn't make it an option at all. The
precedent is that ports with huge data files are marked NO_PACKAGE, so
there's no impact on the package builders. Make it non-optional, mark it as
NO_PACKAGE, and then the port works for all users.

If, however, the port IS real-world usable without the data files, I'd turn
the data file into a second port. That way, package people can very easily
install the NO_BUILD slave and still install the main program by pkg.

# Adam

--
Adam Weinberger
adamw at adamw.org