Flavors *COMPLETELY* break the port system (synth and poudriere are useless)

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Thu Dec 7 00:39:15 UTC 2017

On 12/6/2017 6:36 PM, Mel Pilgrim wrote:
> On 12/5/2017 2:09 PM, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
>> Le 05/12/2017 à 10:53, Aryeh Friedman a écrit :
>>> TL;DR;
>>> Flavors <bleep>'ed up ports and there are no good ways/alternates
>>> for how
>>> to use the ports collection for normal everyday users/maintainers
>>

>> Thank you for supporting all the hard work and countless hours that so
>> many volunteers put in making the ports tree better.
>>
>> It really helps motivate all of us continue bringing the ports tree
>> forward when we get emails with so much joy and positive attitude.
>
> FWIW, I've been chomping at the bit to try out flavours.
>
> As for those complaining about, it's a remarkably small number of very
> loud people, but that's how it always is.

> I can say that I do get a laugh out them say poudriere is too much
> work, then insist on building everything from scratch or even bailing
> FreeBSD for LFS or Gentoo... ;)

I never said that "poudriere is too much work"  Should users not be able
to reproduce the current packages?
It is trival on linux to do that, FreeBSD not so much.

I would rather have a rock solid base as which to start from then what
exists currently in FreeBSD.

At least Linux works with most current hardware........