Welcome flavors! portmaster now dead? synth?

Johan Hendriks joh.hendriks at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 13:54:12 UTC 2017

>> On Dec 6, 2017, at 14:01, Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingox at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 9:15 PM, Bryan Drewery <bryan-lists at shatow.net> wrote:
>>> I plan to look at portupgrade + FLAVORS support in the next few weeks as
>>> well.
>>>
>> Very, very much appreciated!
> Yes, same here.
>
> My experience thus far is that the current version "just works"
> most of the time.  Sometimes I get an "error 70" or something like
> that but going into the port directory itself and doing a "make
> deinstall" followed by a "make install" get rid of these problems.
> For python things, a "make FLAVOR=py27" seems needed.  All in all,
> I haven't seen any reason to abandon FreeBSD and am patient enough
> to wait for a fixed portmaster.
>
> Regards,
>
> 	jaap

I did get the error70 also, albeit this was in /usr/ports/www/apache24
which as far as I know has nothing to do with flavour
Things will settle in the end, and as i am using poudriere for most of
my systems, i am not that worried.
Leaving FreeBSD for me has never crossed my mind, but I think these
things can be handled better.

First notify these big changes on the frontpage of FreeBSD.org like in X
days the ports tree is going to receive flavours, this change will leave
a lot  of port tools in a not working state.
Also A nice info page about flavours would be nice. I am not deep into
ports and havent had the time to look into it yet,  but finding good
info about flavours is not that easy.
Then put a nice wiki page online that tells people how they can use
poudriere in a simple oneliner version to replace portmaster.
Also let people know on the frontpage that Flavours have finally landed
in the ports tree and remind them again that it could be that there
favorite port tool could be obsolete.

A lot of users want things to be easy. There not system administrators
that have the time to figure out the new way of updating there system. I
think hell would freeze over if Microsoft does it the way FreeBSD did it
now with there windows update.
This way we scare people off. I saw people asking for help and all they
hear was use poudriere!!

regards
Johan