Flavors *COMPLETELY* break the port system (synth and poudriere are useless)

Bryan Drewery bryan-lists at shatow.net
Tue Dec 5 21:03:58 UTC 2017

On 12/5/2017 1:53 AM, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> 1. I decide to try poudriere since it seems to what people are raving
> about.   What a <bleep>'ing confusing mess it is use!!!! After deciding it
> is over kill I go to option 2

1 time setup:
  echo ZPOOL=zroot >> /usr/local/etc/poudriere.conf
  poudriere jail -c -j 11amd64 -v 11.1-RELEASE
  poudriere ports -c
After that:
  # edit /some/file and add your port list
  poudriere bulk -j 11amd64 -f /some/file

You typed 1612 characters in this email but poudriere would have taken
157 at a minimum.

Looking at
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports-poudriere.html
it also agrees with my setup advice, very trivial.

There's this silly idea that Poudriere is hard to setup.  It's not
tinderbox which required maintaining an external database and migrations
on it and such.  I do agree Poudriere has option and command overload
which makes it confusing, but the official guide is to the point and
mostly simple (it needlessly uses -p and -z when not needed).
Customizing its options are something to be done optionally later.

I do like that synth supports upgrading the *HOST* more simply.  I want
to add such a feature to Poudriere as well eventually.

--
Regards,
Bryan Drewery