Working on FLAVOR support in portmaster

Stefan Esser se at freebsd.org
Tue Dec 5 07:41:46 UTC 2017

Am 05.12.17 um 00:43 schrieb Tatsuki Makino:
> By the way, where is the clever way to update to flavor?
> I am using portmaster.

I'm working on FLAVOR support in portmaster. My version did already build
all updated ports, the FLAVOR parameter is passed to build sub-processes,
but there is still some confusion between multiple flavored versions of the
same port (installing the py27 version wants to deinstall the py36 version
and vice versa), which I still have to fix.

I'm not sure that I have time to complete the fix today, but it is not too
hard. Ports need to complement the port origin with the FLAVOR, where
appropriate (e.g. when a flavored destination is found in MOVED). Already
installed packages are annotated with "flavor" and that must be passed to
the build command, when that port is updated. Most other logic in portmaster
remains unaffected.

My work version has all non PKG_NG support stripped, but that is mainly to
not waste effort fixing irrelevant sub-routines.

Is it acceptable, to have portmaster stop supporting the old package system?
AFAIK, there is no way that a modern ports tree with flavor support works
with a non-PKG_NG infrastructure?

Regards, STefan