Welcome flavors! portmaster now dead? synth?

Charlie Li ml at vishwin.info
Tue Dec 5 03:44:34 UTC 2017

On 04/12/2017 21:52, Dewayne Geraghty wrote:
> Unfortunately it appears that we need to build multiple versions of,
> say, python when you only NEED to run 2.7 refer to (1) above?  It used
> to be that the ports team recommended when users should update python,
> php, etc and the ports suite would head in that direction.   Its an
> uncomfortable prospect - *maintaining* multiple versions of the same
> language on a production platform...

Not everyone updates their Python environments at the same time,
especially when you have scripts/programs that use libraries and
functions whose names can change on a whim between 3.x releases.

Flavours ime solved more of a dependency hell situation where certain
ports would strictly depend on python2.7 packages but the
system/make.conf (like how mine is set up) has python3.x as default.
Before flavours, those python ports would build python3.x packages
instead of the python2.7 ones needed by the port that specified them.
For example, I had to insert some ugly hacks into the python
dependencies of net/samba4x and www/firefox, among other ports with the
same problem I faced, to force those python ports to build the python2.7
package.

--
Charlie Li
Can't think of a witty .sigline today…