Welcome flavors! portmaster now dead? synth?

Vlad K. vlad-fbsd at acheronmedia.com
Sat Dec 2 12:04:26 UTC 2017

On 2017-12-02 12:53, Carmel NY wrote:

> I am hoping that  someone can get "synth" back up and working
> correctly. If not
> it might be time for me to look at another OS for my network.

This has been mentioned several times as a "solution", but I really
don't understand it. What other OS would be comparatively equal in this
functionality? Other than Gentoo, you'd have hard time compiling
individual packages, in a binary-precompiled-packages-based OS. Sure
there are source DEBs or RPMs, but keeping track of custom built ones is
not as easy as flipping a few options and running `poudriere bulk` every
now and then.

Which then means, you can already use binary-precompiled packages here
in FreeBSD. Even more so now with FLAVORS, as the packages will be built
with some common option variations which would match exactly what's
done, say in Debian based distros.

Honest question, I really am interested.

--
Vlad K.