Welcome flavors! portmaster now dead? synth?

Carmel NY carmel_ny at outlook.com
Sat Dec 2 11:54:10 UTC 2017

On Saturday, December 2, 2017 5:40 AM, Stari Karp stated:
> On Sat, 2017-12-02 at 01:12 +0000, Ben Woods wrote:
> > Hi Carmel,
> >
> > My understanding is that poudriere is the only package building system
> > that is officially supported by the portmgr, apart from raw make.
> >
> > There are many other nice ports building tools contributed by the
> > community, which each have their niche market, but the maintenance of
> > those tools is a community responsibility also.
> >
> > The announcement of impending flavors and breakage of package building
> > infrastructure that doesn’t support it was some time ago (I believe at
> > least 6 months), with a number of reminders since then. If a community
> >
> Yes, 6 months but IMO ports maintainers have still 2 or three months.
> They "pushed" flavors out to early. I do not why.

Well, I certainly have no intention of installing and then learning how to use
an industrial sized solution line poudriere for a relatively small home network.

I am hoping that  someone can get "synth" back up and working correctly. If not
it might be time for me to look at another OS for my network.

Looking back at other port management utilities like "portmanager",
"portmaster", "portupgrade" and now "synth", The FreeBSD team has done a
pretty good job of obfuscating and rendering them impotent. Which brings me
to what happens if I do embrace "poudriere". How long before that becomes
history also?

--
Carmel