Welcome flavors! portmaster now dead? synth?

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 17:59:35 UTC 2017

First, welcome flavors. It has been badly needed for a while and is going
to clean up a couple of messes that have been plaguing the port system for
a long time.

Second, whither port msanagement tools? At least portmaster now appears
dead. Any reason to expect it to be workable again? I have not tried synth
with flavors, yet,.but I see noting committed to deal with them, so it
looks like port management has devolved to raw "make" operations or
poudriere. Am I missing some other option?

I really with there ha been at least a days warning of the flavoring of
python so I could have set up to do tings a bit more smoothly.

Some issues are still unclear. e.g. pygobject3 is orphaned. Since I have 23
ports that depend on py34-gobject3, I don't see deleting it as viable. pkg
shows no upgrade path... just "orphaned: devel/py3-gobject3". None of the
ports htat depend in it show that they need updates. I'm going to guess
that I can build the py-gobject3 port with FLAVOR=36 and that will fix a
bunch of stuff, but I am not really sure. If I rebuild that way, will I
break any of the ports that previously wanted ry34-gobject3? Don't know,
but it will break my entire desktop if it fails.

I might mention that cython, compat10x, compat9x are also orphaned. This
looks pretty ugly. Are they really gone? Or re there flavor here, as well?
again, pkg gives no clues.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com