pkg issue after FreeBSD 11 upgrade

Chris Rees crees at physics.org
Wed Aug 30 14:11:03 UTC 2017

Cassiano Peixoto wrote:
> Ok I know about HANDLE_RC_SCRIPTS, it's a good approach. But how to deal
> with when I need to restart a service without upgrading? Reaper
> functionnality is a trouble for many administrators who made meta ports to
> manage their servers. I really think it could be a option to be
> enabled/disabled. Can you see this possibility?
>
> Thanks.
>
> On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 9:59 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at freebsd.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 09:55:22AM -0300, Cassiano Peixoto wrote:
>>> Hi Baptiste,
>>>
>>> Why it used to work on FreeBSD 10? It stopped worked on FreeBSD 11 only.
>> It only worked on FreeBSD 10 prior to 10.2, the reaper functionnality in
>> freebsd
>> kernel appeared in 10.2
>>> Cron is just an example, I manage more than 50 FreeBSD servers, and I've
>>> been using ports for years to update some configs and restart the service
>>> on all of them. Many times I need to change nginx config, ldap, etc. I
>> just
>>> need to restart the service.
>> HANDLE_RC_SCRIPTS=true in your pkg.conf and pkg will automatically restart
>> anything rc script provide once the package containing it is upgrading.
>>
>> This is off by default because in many cases it is dangerous (database
>> upgrades,
>> dovecot like things upgrade etc). But if you know what you are doing it
>> does the
>> job.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Bapt

Hey,

I think you also want process supervision given your other comments.
You can do this easily using daemon -P to run your scripts (but you'd
need to rewrite the rc script...)

Or use runit or similar?  You could implement "runlevels" with that if
that's REALLY what you want :)

Cheers,

Chris

believed to be clean.