Is pkg quarterly really needed?

Ethan Grammatikidis eekee57 at fastmail.fm
Thu Apr 20 06:56:32 UTC 2017

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017, at 06:22 AM, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 04:37:05PM -0400, scratch65535 at att.net wrote:
> > (Right now, it's quite hard to resist the paranoid suspicion that
> > maybe this crazy, anti-real-user behavior is a subtle way to kill
> > freebsd altogether by driving away the non-hobbyists.)
>
> That's one explanation.
>
> The other, possible, explanation, is that the efforts of a group of
> volunteers isn't adequate enough for every use case -- including your own.

This!!! I used to help out a little with a Linux distro, many years ago when it was feasible for a handful of hobyists to do so in their spare time. The experience was sobering. In about 5 years I went from building my own LFS system without any help (I wasn't on the net) to seeing a bunch of people just barely keep up as Xorg and Gtk+ grew circular dependency chains, some users demanded stability while others wanted updates, and of course compile times were rapidly increasing.