Is pkg quarterly really needed?

Mel Pilgrim list_freebsd at bluerosetech.com
Tue Apr 25 22:57:41 UTC 2017

On 04/19/2017 22:22, Mark Linimon wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 04:37:05PM -0400, scratch65535 at att.net wrote:
>> (Right now, it's quite hard to resist the paranoid suspicion that
>> maybe this crazy, anti-real-user behavior is a subtle way to kill
>> freebsd altogether by driving away the non-hobbyists.)
>
> That's one explanation.
>
> The other, possible, explanation, is that the efforts of a group of
> volunteers isn't adequate enough for every use case -- including your own.
>
> But, of course, feel free to cast aspersions wherever and whenever.  We're
> just machines, we have no feelings whatsoever.
>
> Now if no one minds, I'm going to go back to contemplate the existential
> question of "why do I even bother trying to fix things".

Because the work you and everyone else does on FreeBSD makes it possible
for me to do the work I do for dozens of non-profits who need safe,
reliable network and internet services without paying retail or being
pigeonholed into an online provider's one-size product.

For every scratch65535, there's one like me who doesn't have to deal
with the expense of Windows servers or the increasingly black-box nature
of Linux distros without also having to compile everything from scratch
on the weekly.

Mel, the IT admin who gets to run 11-R and -CURRENT in exchange for free
books and actually helping people because she doesn't have to say things
like, "I can do that, but the licensing is half your 5-year budget."