Installing ports via pkg on 11

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Fri Sep 23 18:36:51 UTC 2016

Luciano Mannucci wrote on 09/23/2016 17:03:

> Excuse my newbeeness...
>
> I'm not able to install ports via pkg install on 11-RC3. This might be
> due to the version not beeing "release" (yet) I guess... :)
> if I issue a pkg install <anithing> I get
>
> Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
> pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:11:powerpc64/quarterly/meta.txz: Not Found
> repository FreeBSD has no meta file, using default settings
> pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:11:powerpc64/quarterly/packagesite.txz: Not Found
> Unable to update repository FreeBSD
> All repositories are up-to-date.
> pkg: Repository FreeBSD cannot be opened. 'pkg update' required
>
> the same if I issue "pkg update".
>
> Is there a way to build all the ports and make them available to pkg?
> Would such a thing make sense?

It is better to use poudriere (installed from ports) where you can
create the list of ports you want to build (why would you want to build
everything?), then you run poudrier bulk and on target system disable
official FreeBSD repository and add yours.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-set-up-a-poudriere-build-system-to-create-packages-for-your-freebsd-servers

https://github.com/freebsd/poudriere

I am using poudriere for a long time to build all packages needed on our
servers. It is very helpful tool.

Miroslav Lachman