Resurrecting games/wmfortune (Was: Re: misc/jive deleted)

Alphons van Werven freebsd at skysmurf.nl
Mon Nov 7 12:29:22 UTC 2016

Julian H. Stacey wrote:

> FYI in case newer than yours, Fonz, I have
>   MD5 (9.2-RELEASE/wmfortune-0.241.tar.gz) = fa8db5d9a46d9afe7757f498c781e8c9
>   SHA256 (9.2-RELEASE/wmfortune-0.241.tar.gz) = b149067b7e3521f7e03354b12754baaf9c5556af4d286bbd6d169b1db9f6dba0
>
> It builds & run on my 9.2, I've not tried on current.

That matches what I've got and appears to be the most recent, thanks.

Considering the overly aggressive pruning of the ports tree that the
Powers That Be have been conveying (but what to me rather more seems like
attempting to perform intricate neurosurgery using a sledgehammer and a
chainsaw), it's unlikely that a port which is no longer maintained
upstream will be welcomed back into the tree, even though people are
willing to maintain the port and host the distfiles. There probably needs
to be some sort of alternative--or "underground" if you like--tree that
can serve those ports that are not to the liking of a select few (and/or
that have been taken away from the tolerant in order to appease the
intolerant, such as in the misc/jive case). I'm currently looking into
what's the best way to go about setting up such a supplementary tree.

Fonz

--
A.J. "Fonz" van Werven <freebsd at skysmurf.nl>
mailsig: Help! I'm a prisoner in a Chinese fortune cookie factory.