Future of pecl ports

Gasol Wu gasol.wu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 10:37:21 UTC 2016

Hi miwi,

First of all, I'm appreciated for your PHP support in FreeBSD.

I have received many outdated notices regarding the PECL ports from
portscout because I'm the maintainer.
I saw the same problem here when I start to packaging, So I'm so happy
 to see this discussion here.

IMHO, I will vote option (c). Here is my thought.

1. Explicit is better than implicit
2. It will be bad if we upgrade ports without changing port name,
especially they have BC problems.
3. I would like to see official support for installing different
version of PHP in same FreeBSD box
    without using 3rd-party tools like phpbrew or phpenv.
    Imagine that we have /usr/local/bin/{php55,php56,php70} respectively

Regards,
Gasol.