Asterisk 2.x ???

Guido Falsi madpilot at FreeBSD.org
Fri Mar 11 19:17:42 UTC 2016

On 03/11/16 19:52, pathiaki2 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since Asterisk 1.8 is now deprecated, what are the port plans for
> Asterisk 2.x ?

There will never be asterisk 2.0.

Due to this, some years ago, the asterisk project decided to simply drop
the "1.", skip the number 9, and have even versions be development ones
(short support) and odd ones be stable releases (long term support).
This created some versioning confusion.

At present supported versions are 11.x, 12.x and 13.x.

14.x will be a short support release, but still not available.

This is all explained on the asterisk website.

In the ports tree we have 11.21.2 (net/asterisk11) and 13.7.2
(net/asterisk13) which are both quite newer than 1.8.

Version 1.8 was named net/asterisk for historical reasons, there will
never be a "net/asterisk" port again, but only numbered ones, because
the asterisk project release schedule does not really allow us to choose
an official version.

BTW I'll also never create ports for the short term support releases,
only stable LTS ones.

Thoroughly check documentation before upgrading to 11.x or 13.x because
there are many changes and configuration files do need adjustment.

--
Guido Falsi <madpilot at FreeBSD.org>