Firefox 47.0 hangs when accessing cnn.com

Bob Willcox bob at immure.com
Fri Jun 10 19:36:17 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 03:42:00PM +0000, Grzegorz Junka wrote:

> On 09/06/2016 19:52, Bob Willcox wrote:

> >> I second that and repeat what I said before. If you want to compile your
> >> own packages with custom options then fine, but do it properly with
> >> either poudriere or synth. Otherwise, just use the FreeBSD generic ones.
> >> Portupgrade and portmaster are fine but only as long as they work, and
> >> from my experience sooner or later they always stop working and from
> >> then there is going to be a path of misery, wasted time and broken
> >> applications.
> > Well, I've compiled and reinstalled all of the packages on the system with
> > synth with the same result. BTW, from what I could tell, synth forced me to
> > remove any local configuration files that I had for the half a dozen or so
> > ports prior to allowing me to to the 'synth upgrade-system' run.
> >
> > I don't know what is going on/wrong with firefox, but it seems to be getting
> > hung up with some scripts that it tries to run. Since I replaced the version
> > 47 of firefox with the previous 46 version and the problem persisted, I
> > suspect that the issue may not be in firefox at all. It's just the victim.
> >

> That sounds bad indeed. Have you tried to reinstall using the official
> pkg repository (not compiled on your machine)?
>
> BTW Firefox 47 just started crashing today for me. Nothing to do with
> scripts, some exception in one of the *.c files (according to the
> popup). I am now creating a new batch of packages with poudriere and
> will try to upgrade to a newer version.

Ugh. Mine hasn't crashed, just hung to the point where I have to kill it.
Jan has suggested some things for me to try that I plan to do when I get
some time. I'll post how that went once I've tried them.

Bob

--
Bob Willcox    | Which is worse: ignorance or apathy?
bob at immure.com | Who knows?  Who cares?