Passing target to source Makefile

Jan Beich jbeich at vfemail.net
Fri Jul 22 08:54:33 UTC 2016

Russell Haley <russ.haley at gmail.com> writes:

> 1) It does not use the recommended "freebsd" target. While the port
> overlays many of the same options, the system doesn't seem to respect
> the targets and also performs the installation without specifically
> calling the "install" target.

Try adding ALL_TARGET=freebsd. INSTALL_TARGET already defaults to
"install" and then the port appends extra steps via post-install.

  $ make -V ALL_TARGET -C lang/lua53
  all

> The current supported version of Lua is 5.3.  While I can see the need
> to install past versions using explicit naming, it is my opinion that
> the current version should be installed as Lua, not luaXX.

Say, a port looks for Lua 5.1 headers. If Lua 5.3 is installed without
suffix the port may find wrong headers first. And fixing include order
isn't always trivial with complex build systems. But -isystem as used by
USES=localbase partially alleviates that.

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/ports/409263

> - Update to the latest Lua revision

Do you mean Mk/bsd.default-versions.mk? lang/lua53 is already at 5.3.3.

> - Use clang and bmake instead of forcing gcc/gmake.

bmake isn't available on FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE which isn't going to be
EOL'd until the next year. If you mean devel/bmake then I don't see the
benefit compared to devel/gmake - both are extra dependencies.

Also see https://svnweb.freebsd.org/changeset/ports/285048

> Please also note that I have made an upstream request to the Lua
> community to consider applying a patch to the freebsd target in their
> source/Makefile. The patch can be found here:
> http://pastebin.com/cUCtWb1w. I don't expect this to happen quickly
> however.

"freebsd" target is only slightly different from "linux" one. There's no
support to build shared library upstream, so -fPIC isn't required unless
you need to link liblua.a into another shared library.